Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ignorance is NOT bliss!


Hey there! Welcome to spring!

So the theme of our lives recently seems to relate to the economic market in the U.S.A., which is seeping into the Canadian economy and the lives of millions by the minute. It's so difficult to be driven to be environmentally friendly and to put that extra cost, time, and energy into "being green." Sooo many people are losing their jobs and struggling more than ever before. Although we haven't truly been affected to the extent of those in the U.S.A., we have begun to see more and more of the effects of this crisis and recession in our lives daily! Our investments (monetary and not) have been struggling... and in this world uncertainty is bountiful. I believe that it is important to be aware of what's going on globally... contrary to popular belief, ignorance is NOT bliss, for that theory got us into the debt-ridden society that we are living in, and we seriously need to take a look at this and learn from it, or history WILL DEFINITELY repeat itself and lead us into more trouble, stress, and debt.

We need to assess how we exist in this world and learn from this. Green initiatives may seem trivial and insignificant in comparison to other issues we are facing, and that is completely understandable. What has made me feel better (helped me sleep at night) and given me the initiative to live my best life despite the market's downturn is to come together with you, our readers, and make these initiatives a priority. Doing my little part, (although I cannot fix everything that is going on,) is important in order for me to live my life feeling as though I have helped something, or someone, along the way. Recently, as I explore adulthood, I have become very conscious of the effect that my actions have on this planet and the people around me.

Our generation has come to expect an impractical and irresponsibly high standard of living at such a young age. What I see a lot of people forgetting, is that our parents worked incredibly hard to give us the life we have become accustomed to. To expect the standard of life that our parents and the generation before us are living in this stage of our lives is not only impractical, but also stressful! Let's think about this...

Material possessions have become so coveted in this society, that there is so much wastefulness and less appreciation for what we have. We, generation "x" (I think...), want what we don't have, and don't care for what we do have. I think this recession is teaching me to look at the the things in my life, material and not, and truly appreciate them for what they can do to help me be a better person, and live a better life (for myself and for those around me). Instead of wanting things we don't have (again, both material and not), why don't we spend this time thinking about what we have and using this to our advantage? That is my challenge to you this week.

Lots of love,
Chanel

Image from "www.dontwasteyourlife.com"

6 comments:

  1. Hi love Chanel
    Wow~
    What wisdom from such a young woman!
    Just know that the world is a MUCH better place because you are in it!!!
    always and everywhere _ _ _

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great "don't waste your life image"!
    Loved the post.

    It makes a person realize that life is not about 'accumulation'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ladies.

    There is a very interesting article in the SHEAF this week about our parents generation. It was kinda saying that they are the ones that taught our generations to fill our needs wit the material possessions and to use credit to get things, that are wants, not needs. It was very well written and I took alot away from it. If you get a chance to read it you should ( I will try to get my hands on a copy for you guys).

    I'm not saying all parents did this at all I know many parents worked very hard to be where they are in life, including my own parents, and I am very proud of them, and thankful. The article was generalizing if you can't pay cash for something then you really need to think about if its a need or a want. Also on the need or the want topic, if you ever get a chance to watch Suzie Orman on Oprah I find her very informative. And she explains things for every one to understand not just the financially educated. This post isn't about being Green, sorry, its just about making your financial life easier, and give us all something to think about.

    Great post Chanel.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra, money is green in color. So I think your post is on target. lol

    I like your comment on the the ideas that magazine puts forward...I agree we as a nation are overextended. And in some cases I agree with that theory that if you don't have cash, don't buy it. HOWEVER, to look at the dangers of living within our means...if you view our economy like a very big giant business (which it is). If people didn't have debt and continue to buy things on credit our economy would have to shrink to levels I am scared to even discuss before we could resume reserved spending habits and still put food on the table. I don't know how much, and I can only take a wild guess, but I would suspect that if you remove credit from the average citizen our economy would have to shrink by 1 or 2 times. A dilemma and in itself, because extended periods of consumer debt is not sustainable. Thus the credit crunch we are experiencing right now...the only way they could get the American consumer out of this crisis was for the government to go another 800billion dollars in debt to keep the credit flowing. It is saving peoples debt, with more debt...it is scary to think what will happen when they stop borrowing money.

    Anyways, this is turning into an economic post. But I thought I'd give my 2cents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the posts!
    I realize how significant and radical it is to imagine a life without consumer debt, however I do not think it is responsible for anyone, including the government and its citizens, to continue down this incredibly irresponsible route going deeper and deeper into debt, like everything, including our lifestyles... there MUST be balance...

    ReplyDelete